30 December 2012

Book Review: I'll Be Here

by Autumn Doughton

Review: 5/5
Of course It's a 5!

Autumn Doughton - you have a knack for describing a heartbreak.

some_text
Note: This isn't paranormal. I just like the pic :)

Inside of me is all whirl and spin. A cockroach is doing pirouettes on my chest. A cockroach in a tutu. I would breathe but a giant has his grubby hands wrapped around my lungs and he’s squeezing. Tighter.

And these are just the first paragraphs of the book - wait till you get a hold of the whole book...

Thank you Jas for recommending this book - I admit I already had this one on my Kindle, but it wasn't on my priority list. But hey, it was short and I decided to forgo my list for a while, and insert this one. I wasn't disappointed. Autumn Doughton proved to be an exceptional author who writes the perfect words (in metaphor or not) in depicting emotions (whether it is good or bad).

“You dump trash. You dump yard waste and old ripped couches that smell like body odor and forgetfulness. You dump cigarette butts and banana peels and hazardous waste. But people?”

Yeah, Willow was recently dumped by her boyfriend of two years. And the hardest thing was that- she didn't saw it coming. They were not having any problems at all (well, nothing she knew of) and suddenly, here was her boyfriend ex trying to break up with her in a steak house over fries.

Now she starts from scratch: no more cool boyfriends, her used to be friends were non-existent and she got the biggest surprise of her life when she finally realized why Dustin broke up with her.

Good thing she has old friends who easily forgives and forgets. Laney, the friend she forgot when she became Dustin's girl came to the rescue along with others. They were her savior after the whole school has been treating her like she has leprosy. I also adore her mother, who tried ALL the time to reach out to her, trying to be there when she needed the most. It took a while for them to fix their relationship because of some previous issue. She went back to her previous passion: Art. Something she gave up as well when she was going out with Dustin.

And Alex, oh Alex. You were exasperating at times, lovable most of the time, and just frustrating at the near end. An old flame she wanted to forget - now here he comes back into her life: in a the most 'broken' time of her life. Why?

I love this book! I'm an avid YA reader and let me tell you - this book is one of those YA-novels that rocks! I'll Be Here tells a story of how a young girl with a broken heart picks up the pieces, found and loved herself, and finally moved on with life and love. It's a short read (that's why I love it more), but even though it's short, I didn't find it lacking. I was contented with the ending and was not disappointed at all.

I'd recommend it to readers who likes (1) heartbreak, (2) moving on (3) family issues that aren't so heavy and totally dramatic (4) sweet but not to the point of mushy (5) Short but complete read.

Favorite Quotes:

  • “I'm miserable but the thing is that I want to be miserable. It's kind of nice. Like a comfortable sweater that you put on around the house but wouldn't be caught dead wearing in public.”
  •    “You dump trash. You dump yard waste and old ripped couches that smell like body odor and forgetfulness. You dump cigarette butts and banana peels and hazardous waste. But people?”
  • “People are just preprogrammed to want what they don’t have. It’s like it’s a universal law.”
Follow me :
Twitter : @nursechucha
or be my friend on GoodReads

   

No comments:

Post a Comment