Off ChanceSawyer Bennett
I can only imagine what Thanksgiving would be like with the Caldwells. There will be plenty of good food, lots of laughter, and probably some naps when it’s all said and done.
“And Capone can come, too,” Flynn throws in to entice me further, but I’d already decided to accept.
“Okay. We’re in. Can you ask your mom what I can bring?”
“I’ll ask but I know she’ll say ‘don’t bring a thing but yourself’.”
I laugh over Flynn’s impersonation of his mom’s Irish accent. “In that case, don’t bother asking and I’ll just bring something. Maybe a pie.”
“You can cook?” Flynn asks with astonishment.
“Of course I can cook,” I tell him with indignation.
“Then how come all we ever have is pizza or bologna sandwiches when it’s your turn to cook?”
“Just because I can cook, doesn’t mean I want to. This is the twenty-first century pal... get with the times. Women have shed the chains of slavery and we no longer serve you menfolk.”
Flynn throws his head back and starts howling with laughter, then he pitches forward, holding the hand with Capone’s leash to his stomach while he laughs, with the other holding onto his hot cocoa. It’s infectious and I start laughing along with him.
He looks at me and our eyes meet.
Then it happens... there is almost a crackle in the air, like electricity is flowing between us. Flynn’s laughter immediately dies away and the smile slides from my face. The same happens to me and nothing is left in our expressions except a focused intensity on each other. It’s almost as if I can feel heat swirling all around us, and the backdrop of the world fades to black.
Until nothing is left but just Flynn and me.
I call it “The Happening” and it represents those few times when the resolve to just be friends seems to melt away into oblivion. It occurs at the weirdest of times and I have no control over it. When I’m in that moment with Flynn, I want nothing more than for him to grab me and kiss me like I was the oxygen his lungs crave. I want to strip him bare and use just my fingertips to trace every inch of skin on his body. I want to get lost... deeply lost, in Flynn.
“The Happening” hits Flynn just as hard as it hits me. I see the desire light him up from within. I feel the sexual tension pouring off him with visceral awareness, and I swear I can feel his heart moaning for me.
When “The Happening” occurs, I am powerless to fight it. In fact, if Flynn ever made a move to touch me during the event, I would completely submit to him body and soul. But thankfully, Flynn is a stronger person than I am, and he is clearly the more responsible of the two of us. He’ll usually snap out of it first, and bring me crashing back to reality.
Like he does right at this moment.
FACTS ABOUT OFF CHANCE -
- Most importantly, this was supposed to be the last book in the Off Series but I’ve had such an outpouring of requests to keep writing… I’m happy to report that this is NOT the last book. There will be others, but after I get a few other projects complete!
- Not to give away a spoiler, but there is a huge scene in the book involving Emily and Nix from Off Limits and it’s based almost exactly off a very important moment in my personal life.
- Fire fighters are hot! It’s a fact!
- There is a really cute, fuzzy and rambunctious dog in this book named, Capone! He’s based off of my own puppy goodness… my Bernese Mountain Dog, Atticus.
- I sobbed like a baby when I finished writing the prologue. Warning: It might make you cry, too.
- You will get really good updates in this book on all of the past Off characters… Ryan, Danny, Emily, Nix, Linc, Ever, Renner and Cillian!
Book #1 Off Sides
Book #2 Off Limits
Book #3 Off the Record
Book #4 Off Course - MY REVIEW!
Book #5 Off Chance