28 September 2015

Book Review | Beyond What Is Given by Rebecca Yarros (@RebeccaYarros)


Beyond What is Given
Flight & Glory #3
Releasing September 28, 2015
Entangled Embrace

Buy Links:   Amazon |B & N | iTunes | Kobo

25518107

Lt. Grayson Masters is focused on graduating the Apache helicopter course, and the last thing he needs is his gorgeous new roommate Samantha Fitzgerald distracting him. While her smart mouth and free spirit are irresistibly irritating, he can’t deny their off-the-charts chemistry, no matter how hard he tries.

Having just been expelled from college, Sam has no business digging for Grayson’s secrets while she’s hiding her own, but that doesn’t stop her from trying to tear down his walls. Each barrier she busts through drops one of her own, though, and she’s not prepared for the truth: another woman laid claim to Grayson’s heart long ago.

Falling in love is something neither Grayson nor Sam can afford, and when that line is crossed and secrets are exposed, they’ll learn that sometimes it’s the answered prayers that will put you through hell.

 photo add-to-goodreads-button3_zps6563a4df.png

Purchase Links:
Amazon: http://amzn.to/1QIm8rf
B&N: http://bit.ly/1P18pNQ
iTunes: http://apple.co/1O4KjCC
Kobo: http://bit.ly/1LJuuze
__________________________________

CHECK OUT THE REST OF THE SERIES:
♥ Full Measures (#1: Josh & Ember)
♦ Purchase Link: http://amzn.to/1V2Uer3

♥ Eyes Turned Skyward (#2: Paisley & Jagger)
♦ Purchase Link: http://amzn.to/1wgiOuB
♦ Review Link: http://bit.ly/1vEkJWh

__________________________________

EXCERPT
I shrieked as the mixer whirred a shrill pitch 
and batter exploded, hitting the walls, the cabinets, my face...everything. I sputtered as some landed in my mouth, and slammed my hand against the lever to turn it off. 
This was going to be a bitch to clean up. 
“Are you okay?” Grayson ran in, hair damp from the shower. His eyes widened as he took in the state of his precious kitchen. “You weren’t kidding about the mess.” 
“Oh this?” I smiled. “It’s a new aeration technique. I totally meant to do this.” My awesome excuse died as a glob of brownie mix fell off the tip of my nose. 
“Is that so?” he asked, walking over to me slowly, consuming my vision. My breath hitched as he swiped his finger across my cheek, and then licked the brownie mix off the digit. Holy hot. “Hmm... I think there’s something to be said for this method. Maybe a little more air in the batter?” 
My mouth popped open. “Are you making fun of me?” 
He smirked, which must have had a direct link to my panties, because they unanimously voted to drop. Now. There was sexy, and there was Grayson’s tongue sweeping across his lower lip, which was a step beyond hedonistic. His eyes took on a mischievous glint but kept the same signature intensity that held me captive, unable to look anywhere else as he lowered his face toward mine. What...what was he doing? 
Do you even care? Nope. Not one bit. 
“Maybe another taste to be sure?” he asked, his voice low as his lips skimmed across my jawline. “Mmm. Definitely more.” Shivers coursed down my body. Holy shit. His mouth was actually on me, and I was awake. 
He flipped the switch on the mixer and chocolate flew. 
“You did not!” I let my knees buckle so I slipped to the floor, leaving Grayson to be splattered by the flying confection. 
“I most certainly did!” He lifted me up like I weighed nothing, and batter smacked the back of my tank top. “Man, you’re slippery.” He mock-dropped me. 
I yelped, locking my ankles around his waist and my hands around his neck. He turned off the mixer and chuckled low in his throat. “You can laugh?” I asked, yanking my head back to look at him. 
“I have been known to on occasion,” he answered, that stupid, crazy-sexy smirk in play despite the chocolate on his cheeks and forehead. How the hell could someone look so hot while literally dripping brownie batter? 
“I like it,” I admitted. 
His smirk disappeared, and his grip tightened on my bare thighs as his gaze dropped to my lips. They parted as if he’d freaking asked them to. We weren’t just stepping out of the friend-zone here, we were on a damn missile into let- me-jump-you-ville. 
“I do, too,” he whispered.


Lt. Grayson Masters wanted nothing more than to graduate on top of his class of the Apache Helicopter Course. Nothing can distract him from his goals, or so he thinks, until Samantha Fitzgerald became their new roommate, distracting him from everything possible. He doesn’t need a hot, smart-mouth and free-spirited beauty who knows how to push his buttons. I love this guy despite the serious personality. He has his own secrets, most of them heartbreaking, and I wonder until when can he keep it? He separates his school life, his friends from his life back home, and there is a big reason why. Reasons I was not sure at first weather to applaud him or slap him. Nevertheless, he was trying to do what he thought was best.

If our hot helicopter pilot has some secrets, our girl, Samantha Fitzgerald has some too. Fresh from being kicked out of the university, Samantha flew over a hundred miles to escape her past and start over. But how can she, when every time she opens a computer, it’s staring her right in the face? Or every time knocks on the door, the past would stare back at her. But this girl is pretty much amazing, because she’s holding herself together,  her strength is pretty much admirable. There was no way her past is going to stop her, not if she can help it. And then there’s the enigmatic Grayson, unlike the rest of the bunch, he’s a bit cold and lacks charm, and she can’t help but wonder why.

They have chemistry, even during the first time that they met, and it was slowly burning. Although, their past wouldn’t let them cross the thin line between friendship and being lovers. I was glad that they started out as friends at first. I gotta watch them falling helplessly in love one day at a time and fight off the intense attraction they have for each other.

Grayson is not perfect, but you couldn’t help but love him. He is strong, loyal and very much honorable. He does things one would not expect him to do, and despite the fact I would like to question it at times, I couldn’t help but for my heart to just break right there. He was torn, and he wanted to do something about it, but he didn’t want to hurt anyone that was important to him.

I love the emotions that grip my heart throughout my read: it’s a rollercoaster ride, exhilarating and addictive. Rebecca Yarros gives us another set of wonderful characters to pin and fall utterly in love with.  Imperfect, but definitely people you can’t help but love.

 It had me swooning, and I didn’t have the heart to put down this book. With all the twist and turns, and what was happening between them, I couldn’t miss anything!!! Every scene, every dialogues, every single word had me hooked. Like the rest of her series, this one was another great read. It’s beautiful, beautiful read that can make and break your hearts. I highly recommend this one!


Rating: Characters - 5
Plot - 5
Steam - 5 
 Cover - 5
Romance - 5 
Pacing - 5
Overall: 5





Rebecca Yarros is a hopeless romantic and lover of all things chocolate, coffee, and Paleo. In addition to being a mom, military wife, and blogger, she can never choose between Young Adult and New Adult fiction, so she writes both. She's a graduate of Troy University, where she studied European history and English, but still holds out hope for an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. Her blog, The Only Girl Among Boys, has been voted the Top Military Mom Blog the last two years, and celebrates the complex issues surrounding the military life she adores.

When she's not writing, she's tying on hockey skates for her kids, or sneaking in some guitar time. She is madly in love with her army-aviator husband of eleven years, and they're currently stationed in Upstate NY with their gaggle of rambunctious kiddos and snoring English Bulldog, but she would always rather be home in Colorado.

Stalk Rebecca: Website  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads



 photo ARC _zpszisq6ios.png
 photo signature_zps54068e08.png

1 comment: