22 December 2012

Book Review: Just Remember to Breathe

by Charles Sheehan Miles

Review: 5/5

“When I'm ninety, I want you to tell me that it's my turn to ask you a question, and if that miracle happens, then my question is going to be, 'Do you still love me?' and I hope that answer will still be yes.”

This is a brilliant book that had me awake till the wee hours of the morning during my day off because I couldn't wait to see how it ends.

Thank you Milka for the recommendation - the read and the lack of sleep was totally worth it.

I will begin this review with the question that haunted me in the first chapters of the novel: WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM? Because here I see two people, still crazy in love with each other - but at some point have to let go of each other. Not to mention their separation was not pretty either. So again, what happened to them? What went wrong? Was it the long distance relationship?

Alex Thompson: she's rich, pretty, intelligent and a pre-law student at Columbia University. She has a secret she's not willing to share, and currently nursing her broken heart, trying to move past a break up that shattered her. The last thing she wanted to see was the boy who tore her heart apart.

Dylan Paris: an ex-soldier who just came home of Afghanistan nursing physical and emotional wounds from the war. He was not the same boy before he got deployed. And seeing the girl who made him feel alive and in love just makes thing difficult. The last thing he wanted to do was to involve this girl with his issues. But no matter how hard he tried - he just couldn't stop himself. Because Alex...

“I’d say you’re worth falling in love with twice.”

Alex needs him to tell her everything, or at least anything for her to trust him with her heart once again. Can Dylan tell her without scaring her and have her running away from him? On the other hand, can Alex spill her secret as well? Secrets she had kept from her family and most of the world?

To simply state that I love reading Just Remember to Breathe is an understatement , because at some point of this book - you'll come to a point that you will forget to breathe in anticipation. Will they or will they not make it?

Favorite Quotes:

  • “When I'm ninety, I want you to tell me that it's my turn to ask you a question, and if that miracle happens, then my question is going to be, 'Do you still love me?' and I hope that answer will still be yes.”
  • “You're crazy, Dylan. Oh, my God, you proposed marriage with index cards? No one else in the world would do that. Yes. Yes, Yes! If you ask me a thousand times, then every single time I'll say yes.” 
  • “I can imagine a life without you, but it seems impossible dreary, imperfect, unhappy.” 
  • “You don't get to decide what's to big a risk for me. You don't decide what's good for me and what isn't. That's my decision, Dylan. If you care about me so much, then how dare you do this all by yourself? I choose not to destroy my present because of the risk of a future that might or might not happen.You should think about that.” 
  • “I wonder if that’s why it was so painful when we split up? Because we’d fallen so hard, so fast. I lost myself in him.” 
  • “I’d say you’re worth falling in love with twice.” 
  • “Love meant a lot, it meant everything, and it meant nothing.”         
Follow me :
Twitter : @nursechucha
or be my friend on GoodReads



No comments:

Post a Comment