14 September 2012

Book Review: If I Lie

by Corrine Jackson

Book Description:
A powerful debut novel about the gray space between truth and perception.

Quinn’s done the unthinkable: she kissed a guy who is not Carey, her boyfriend. And she got caught. Being branded a cheater would be bad enough, but Quinn is deemed a traitor, and shunned by all of her friends. Because Carey’s not just any guy—he’s serving in Afghanistan and revered by everyone in their small, military town.

Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she’s vowed to keep—secrets that aren’t hers to share. And when Carey goes MIA, Quinn must decide how far she’ll go to protect her boyfriend…and her promise

Book Review: 5/5

Seven for a secret never to be told. 

Just like the five star in GoodReads stands for: It was amazing, despite the fact that it ended with me wanting for more. Perhaps a chapter or two to satisfy my eager curiosity and my compulsion to give everyone their happy ending. 

Let me tell you a secret: This is more than just an extraordinary love story. 

This is a story of faith, trust, friendship, family, sacrifices and keeping secrets. Corrine Jackson wove a wonderful tale that made my heart ache from start to finish. There were unexpected twist that I never saw coming, surprising me in both good and bad ways. 

What I love most about this book is not really the 'love' part in it - instead, I was drawn to the friendship that Quinn shared with a veteran named George - who taught her most of the things she knew about photography; and her relationship with her father - their relationship was strained from the moment her mom walked out on them. 

I have never known a person in my life who can hold secrets as much as Quinn did. I applaud Quinn for keeping secrets - to the point that I am almost exasperated, wanting her to reveal it than suffer all the bullying that she encountered. Two heavy secrets that had cost her almost everything: her senior year, her friends, and most especially her relationship with her father. Yet, she stuck to her word, and suffer all the torments. Being branded a cheater to the town hero made her a pariah. But a bad experience in spilling secrets that had caused her something dear made her hold on. 

Two guys and I love them both. Loyalty divides and subtracts me from both of them.

I was pinning for a happy ending, and I ended up with something less than wonderful, but nevertheless heartwarming. It was a nice touch to end this story, but an epilogue or to add some chapter for some characters to have their well-deserved happy ending would have been totally great. (Well, a second book would be nice too.)

Corrine Jackson writes almost poetically and in a manner that make your jaw drop at every end of the chapter. She knows the right places where to drop the most powerful bombs. And yes, I would recommend this book, and most especially this author to my friends.

Favorite Quotes:
  • “Sometimes a moment defines you, defines how people see you for the rest of your life. You can accept it or fight it. If you're lucky, you'll recognize the moment when it happens.” 
  • “Some words hit you like a tree branch slapping you in the face. And some words rip into your flesh, leaving scars so deep, they never completely fade.” 
  • “I wonder how much shame people can hold before they ignite.” 
  • “It’s easier to hang out with the patients in the indoor garden, with its sunlight and picnic tables. Easier to forget that someone’s ill when you’re not surrounded by the antiseptic reek of hospital-issue debris.”
  • “It sounds so perfect. He’s defending me because Carey would want him to. It’s not about me. It never is, with these two boys. Blake lets me take the blame, and Carey uses me.” 
  • “This honor crap isn’t for the weak.” 
  • “Two guys and I love them both. Loyalty divides and subtracts me from both of them.” 
  • “That’s war, kid. You can hate the guy next to you, but he’s always got your back.” 
  • “The truth is, some apologies never see the light of day.” 

And here are some of my favorite quotes I couldn't add to my list because of its spoiler tendencies: 

This might be my breaking point. If anyone but Carey had asked me to keep this secret, I would tell. Right now. Because I want Blake like I’ve never wanted anything. But there’s more at stake than my feelings.

What I know:
A) Carey is alive.
B) George is dying.
C) Life just isn’t fucking fair.

Follow me :
Twitter : @nursechucha
or be my friend on GoodReads


No comments:

Post a Comment