18 June 2012

Book Review: First Comes Love



Book Details
Author: Katie Kacvinsky
Format: Kindle


Summary
Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl always searching for what’s next, seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving and besides, opposites attract.

What starts as friendship, turns into admiration, respect and caring, until finally these two lone souls find they are truly in love with each other.

But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they’re going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you’re sorry.



Review
Review Grade: 4/5
It's pretty weird how someone can change your life in a blink of an eye. 
I thought... 
1. Judging from the cover, I would have taken this for a vamp lit which I'm not really fond of. Anyway, lesson learned, do not judge the book by its cover nor its blurb.
2. The plot will center on bullying/abuse.
3. I will so not like the ending.
4. Someone will die.


BUT 

Let me start by how much this novel surprised me. This was short, sweet and pretty much concise but I love it! I love the simplicity of the plot and how the author finally manage to close the novel without me feeling hanging or hoping for a whole lot more. 

Location 
Hot, steamy Phoenix desert during the summer. I couldn't believe they went on hiking under the scourging heat of the sun without dying of dehydration. Heat stroke is pretty deadly and usually what happens to people who challenges the sun. But nevertheless, the two of them lived to tell their tale :)

Boy Meets Girl 
when two totally different people meet

Dylan, Dylan, Dylan - I was overwhelmed by her character. Seriously. I have never met someone more restless, optimistic and always on the go (such as her) in fictionworld. But I like her. I like her passion for photography, how she managed to change her life and allow herself to live each day as it comes, making simple goals daily and manage to stick to them. These goals lead her toGray. She was trying to make a friend and chose this person who seemed to be a loner.

I love her so much for being a friend to Gray and not pushing him totally to a cliff. She knew where to stop and what ponds not to dip her feet into. Her perseverance and determination to allow Gray to live his life and change for the better was admirable. 

Gray Just like the name suggested - Gray is dark & stormy. He had his life on hold for his family when a tragedy struck. He no longer wants to feel, instead he prefers to remain numb. He was angry and in denial. Everything changed when he met Dylan. He was pushed to do crazy things he never imagined he could do. 

Boy meets girl and so forth... 
Just like magnet, opposite do attracts. The boy who wants to feel nothing fell in love with the girl who has all the zest in life. I love their time together because you can feel Gray's emotion shifts from heavy to light. He seems to be happier with her. Their first time was pretty adorable. It wasn't steamy and kinky, instead it was cute and and funny. I fell in love with the both of them. 

But then reality hits, summer is almost ending and she'll be gone. Will this be another summer fling or can he stop her from leaving? 

First comes this book...
This is my first Katie Kacvinsky book, and I must admit I like it. I would gladly recommend it to friends who just adore short and meaningful reads (like me!). Can't wait to get my hands on the rest of her books! 



Favorite Quotes

  • “When everything comes easily to you, it never challenges you to change.” 
  • “Lying is manipulation. I prefer to call what I did ‘improvisation in times of desperation.”
  • “Sometimes the smallest victories in life are more rewarding than the greatest milestones.” 
  • “In my baggy jeans and messy hair, I know I don't fit into this plastic palace. But I don't want to fit in. That's when no one notices you. You leave a longer impression when you're brave enough to stand out.” 
  • “Live a little," she tells me. "You're never going to experience anything if you wait around for perfect conditions.” 
  • “Why go out looking perfect and put together? It means you didn’t experience anything. You didn’t take any risks.” 
  • “Life is too short to waste time on people who don't lift you up, who don't inspire you-they'll eventually drain you.” 
  • “But pain's like water. It finds a way to push through any seal. There's no way to stop it. Sometimes you have to let yourself sink inside of it before you can learn how to swim to the surface.” 
  • “Sleep doesn’t come to people who have a heavy apology resting on their heart. Sleep knows better.” 
  • “Because if you’re lucky enough to have people in your life that make you happy, that inspire you, that move you, you need to devour each moment you have together because you never know how many of those moments you have left. These people are sacred.” 
  • “What do you say when you’re not enough to make someone stay?”

No comments:

Post a Comment