09 February 2012

Book Review: Geek Girl

Book Details
Author: Cindy Bennett
Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 447 KB
Publisher: Cedar Fort, Inc. (December 5, 2011)

Book Summary

Jen's life of rebelling and sneaking out has grown stale. On a whim, Jen makes a bet to turn Trevor, a nice little geek, into a "bad boy." Hanging out with the geeks, however, pulls Jen into a world she never dreamed existed. But when Trevor finds out about the bet, all bets are off.

Book Review

Rating: 5/5

Ever since I have read Cindy Bennett’s Heart on a Chain – I have been looking forward for some of her works. Then came Geek Girl – okay, the title may have given me the wrong impression of what the plot is all about. But nevertheless, picking this book up made my day. And just like the first book I have read under this author, Geek Girl didn’t disappoint me.

I adore the characters! Jen – she’s not the geek, rather she’s a Goth. Because of her past, she became a cynic and a pessimist. She has been through a lot of things, and for her to have survived it is a miracle. I sympathize with her character all throughout the book, although there are times that I was wanted to give her a bad shake and come out clean with the bet she made with her friends.

In the beginning, her set of friends were those Goth-dressed people who loves to party. I don’t really think they really care about Jen, although I think it is also Jen’s fault since she didn’t want anyone to be close to her. I appreciate Jane, she came late in the story, but she was worth the wait. Jen was also wary about her, but Jane shove her way into Jen’s life. She was there when Jen really needed someone to be there for her.

I like her foster family, her foster mother who really cares a lot for her and trusts her implicitly. Sue never pushed herself to Jen and forced her with whatever she think is right. I think she respects her individuality and let her figure everything on her own, just staying on the sideline getting ready whenever Jen needs her. Tamara annoyed me at first, but she turned out to be wonderful in the near end.

Trevor – wow! He was definitely swoon-worthy. I am a sucker for geeks. They’re my type and I fell easily for this guy. Who wouldn’t? He’s a straight A-student, a student body officer, a real gentleman, really patient, and he has dimples! His shirt is all buttoned-up – but of course, that can be remedied easily. I love his friends, they were all geeky but nevertheless charming. My favorite was Brian. He was really kind to Jen. Trevor’s family reminded Jen of the Cleaver’s. I adored Todd (Trevor’s brother) who was a charmer. I also love the trampoline and everything that has something to do with it.

I like the plot because it did not just focus on boy-girl relationship but several other aspects like family (normal and dysfunctional), foster care, abuse, abandonment, early pregnancy, adoption,  special child/ren and their needs, a little booze and drugs among youth. So even though you are way beyond 18, you can relate to this book.

Geek Girl is funny and sweet. It may not have some steamy scenes from the usual YA novel but the intimacy between Jen and Trevor is adorable, and you just couldn’t help but sigh and smile when these scenes pop every now and then. But also it has a heartbreaking side that could make you teary-eyed and you can feel your heart ache. It is definitely worth the read. I have spent less than a day in reading the whole book, and it left me wanting more! Cindy Bennett turned an ordinary-plot into an extraordinary story that will leave her readers entertained and in love.

I am so looking forward for the next Cindy Bennett novel! 

Favorite Quotes

A little sap never hurt anyone

“Trev, all you had to do was breathe to make me want you. “

ChuCha

No comments:

Post a Comment